A detached garage is a free-standing structure, separate from your home, but it is much more than the typical shed or make-shift storage structure. You may only think of it as a place to store your car, but it can potentially add real value and curb appeal to your property and be used for many different purposes.
You can customize and design your detached garage with as many variations as your own home. In other words, you can transform the dedicated space into whatever you dream up. Plus, a detached building means you have more freedom to re-imagine the entire design, functionality, and usage.
Our team at Sheaffer Construction is an industry leader in Northern Virginia. Our years of experience have equipped us with the right tools to help you build out your very own new detached garage in Northern Virginia. So whether you want a custom-built detached garage suited for your cars, your workshop, or with an extra level to use as an apartment, our experts are happy to help.
Why Build a Detached Garage?
We can thank cars and our affinity for comfort for the modern garage. Initially, vehicles were stored in carriage houses, a covered structure separate from the home. These carriage houses evolved into much more carefully constructed extensions of our homes: garages.
- Protect cars from the environment and seasons
- Provide a space to work on cars or other projects
- Store equipment, gear, and other goods
- Add additional space and property value
While now it’s much more common to see attached garages, that’s mostly because we don’t want to walk as far to unload the groceries. If you want to expand your use of the garage space for other purposes, a detached garage might be a better fit for you. There are a number of good reasons to invest in a detached garage.
Detached garages provide additional value:
- Extra space and room for loud noises or sounds (for example: if operating machinery in a workshop)
- Create distance between the home environment and the detached accessory building (for example: if converting the space to accommodate a home office)
- Personalized placement (for example: hidden behind your house, set at an angle)
- Can convert to our build-out of a private apartment or suite
- If adding on, it is easier to build a new structure that is separated from the home. The design won’t be limited to the main house design
- A plethora of design options and personalized features to fit your use of the space
Detached Garage Planning Ideas
If you’ve decided to move forward with building a detached garage, what’s next?
As with any large scale, custom project, there are a number of factors to take into consideration. Carefully working with an expert residential builder project manager is always a good place to start. They will help you comb over the details and break down what your available options are.
Check out our “Steps to Build” guide to see how we will work through each part of the process carefully and thoroughly.
What you need to do first, is consider the following details so you can figure out what you would like to build.
- Budget: How much am I willing and able to invest?
- Size and Space: What will the space be used for? (Park cars, storage, workshop, office, extra apartment, living space, etc.)
- Heating and Lighting: Will the space need heating and lighting or any other special features?
- Doors and Windows: Will I need to install specially sized windows or a service door?
Ideas for a Custom Built Garage or Accessory Dwelling Unit
The options are practically limitless when it comes to building out detached garages. So whether you are seeking some quiet from a buzzing household, building out a private apartment for someone to stay in, or have a project that requires a large workspace, here are some options to consider for your design:
- Multi-car garage
- Drive through garage
- Dual-purpose Garage +
- Workshop or utility Room
- Boat or RV storage
- Loft or Gameroom
- Barn or Horse Barn
- Workout Studio
- Greenhouse or Garden Room
- Office Space
Permits for Detached Garages
Permits are a common hurdle you must cross before beginning any remodel or upgrades to your home, and that especially includes building out new detached spaces such as custom-built garages.
While they may seem like a nuisance, they are crucial to make sure that you don’t encounter any problems along the way. It’s important to follow permitting for any structural, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical projects.
When building out a detached garage in Northern Virginia (or accessory dwelling unit), you may need several permits. Working with builder professionals can help ease the burden, as they are often well versed in local permitting.
Work with the Detached Garage Experts at Sheaffer Construction
Give us a call at Sheaffer Construction to begin planning your own personalized and functional detached garage. Our dedicated team will work hard to design and build exactly what you need. We use only high-quality products and bring our expert craftsmanship to make your ideas come to life. Let us build or remodel your establishment to allow you the peace of mind knowing your detached garage in Northern Virginia was crafted by our very own experts in the field.